Saturday, September 21, 2019

The Good Old Days?

I recently mentioned how much I love Barnes and Noble. It is my mother ship. Today I heard the unthinkable news that my local store is going to close.  I'm making an effort to be all  philosophical and positive about it but I am failing miserably. I am, in fact, having an emotional tantrum that would raise the eyebrows of any self respecting two year old. For countless reasons, I don't like change. At all.
Although Gramps likes to tell us how much better life is now since we no longer have to walk ten miles uphill through the snow both ways, I still find the passage of time disturbing. I want to fix all of the things that I love permanently in place while allowing the bad things to drift out of existence. I was furious when my grandmother's house was bulldozed. Every time a favorite place disappears, I feel a void and no matter how much I love my now behemoth boys at every age, I still miss carrying them in the body pouch.
I've read a million sagacious quotes pointing out the necessity of "letting go" but it is still a challenge.
The butterfly has to stop being a caterpillar in order to become a butterfly. The tadpole becomes the frog, and most of us become more compassionate and peaceful as the years pass.
I love to quote the wise ones. If only I could always walk my talk. Christopher Columbus said, "You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." And  Dr. Seuss said, "Don't cry because it's over.  Smile because it happened."


No comments:

Post a Comment